Anacostia Aquaponics is seeking 2019 Team Members / Interns to help advance aquaponics and hydroponics in Washington DC’s fresh produce market and education system.
Interested applicants should send a resume to email@example.com and also complete this online application: Anacostia Aquaponics 2019 Application
Team Members will participate in some of the following activities:
- Designing, constructing, and operating aquaponic, hydroponic, and other urban agriculture systems
- Researching and implementing growing procedures and best practices for aquaponics, hydroponics, and other urban agriculture methods such as root pouches, raised beds, vertical growing, and composting
- Performing general agriculture tasks like germinating, transplanting, water testing, and harvesting
- Utilizing compost to improve urban growing and reduce food waste
Understanding and Promoting Urban Agriculture
- Researching the food economy and public policies that affect food and agriculture
- Communicating with government officials, policy experts, and the media to advance urban agriculture
- Writing blog posts and generating social media to spread knowledge about sustainable agriculture and changes we need to make to our food system
Developing Business Opportunities
- Identifying, researching, and writing grant proposals to the DC Government, Federal Government, private institutions, or other sources
- Manufacturing and marketing aquaponic and hydroponic systems like the Hootie 2.0 Indoor Aquaponic System and vertical grow systems
- Researching the Washington, DC market for fresh produce and analyzing business opportunities to grow commercially
- Developing opportunities for aquaponic and hydroponic system installation and maintenance for paying customers
Incorporating Urban Agriculture into STEM Education
- Developing agriculture lesson plans and conducting lessons
- Researching and developing a plan to implement aquaponics and hydroponics into high-school STEM curriculum
- Seeking opportunities to create and maintain school gardens
- Seeking opportunities to install small-footprint educational aquaponic and hydroponic systems in schools
All positions begin unpaid but have an opportunity to generate income based on future grants or projects.
All applicants should be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week, for a minimum of three-months.
About Anacostia Aquaponics DC LLC
Anacostia Aquaponics DC LLC is an agriculture service provider and think tank founded in March 2016. The mission of Anacostia Aquaponics is to improve Washington D.C.’s local economy through aquaponics. Anacostia Aquaponics Director Brian Filipowich also serves as the national Aquaponics Association Chairman.
Here are examples of Anacostia Aquaponics activities to date, similar to activities that Team Members / Interns will be involved in: