A great article about the future of aquaponics
Today Anacostia Aquaponics Director Brian Filipowich attended the 2016 Ecological Economics conference with two major questions:
ONE — How do we quantify the benefits of Aquaponics; and TWO — How do we monetize the benefits of aquaponics?
Good stuff so far, more to learn, more to do….
Hi Aquaponic friends. FYI the 2016 Aquaponics Association conference is November 11-13 in Austin TX this year. The theme is “Going Mainstream” as the aquaponic industry continues to take root and aquaponic systems become a common way to sustainably produce food across our nation. Here is the link for registration: http://www.aquaponicsassociation-event.org/
We hope to see you there!
Here’s a great article about some early success of three aquaponic farms in Brooklyn, NY. Washington DC is next!
This is good definition of the “food system”, adapted from the Oxford Martin Programme on the Future of Food. (sounds fancy). Basically the food system is everything you can possibly think of that has to do with putting food on your plate. The food system is:
- all those activities involving the production, processing, transport, consumption, and cleanup of food;
- the governance and economics of food production, its sustainability, the degree to which we waste food, and how food production affects the natural environment;
- how food affects health and well-being, including nutrition, obesity and food safety;
- food access, quality, and education in areas with poverty; and
- the history, cultural, and social aspect of food.
Why is this important? Stay tuned……..
Is it time for aquaponic food production in Washington, DC?