This is good definition of the “food system”, adapted from the Oxford Martin Programme on the Future of Food. (sounds fancy). Basically the food system is everything you can possibly think of that has to do with putting food on your plate. The food system is:
- all those activities involving the production, processing, transport, consumption, and cleanup of food;
- the governance and economics of food production, its sustainability, the degree to which we waste food, and how food production affects the natural environment;
- how food affects health and well-being, including nutrition, obesity and food safety;
- food access, quality, and education in areas with poverty; and
- the history, cultural, and social aspect of food.
Why is this important? Stay tuned……..